Why Work? Forum Index Why Work?
Creating Livable Alternatives to Wage Slavery

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I knew you guys were somewhere!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
baggydub

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: I knew you guys were somewhere!!! Reply with quote

Finally I've found the group of people I've been waiting for... Here's my deal: I graduated from the University of Kansas in December of 2005 with Bachelor's degrees in English and Spanish. All through college I never really knew what I "wanted to be" so I just ended up studying the things that I enjoyed. So I graduated last December, worked construction for about 4 months in Kansas before moving to Asheville, NC. I've been here for about 9 months now and I've been working at a moving company for about 6 of those months... and I hate it. About 3 or 4 weeks ago it finally dawned on me that I have no obligation or responsibility to "gain" the right to enjoy my life. It's my life. Why should I have to kill myself 40-50 hours a week for a paycheck that's barely covering my cost of living? I thought, "there's got to be a better way." I'm a musician and that's ultimately what I want to do with my life, pay or no pay. It is my passion, my life and my livelihood. But until I hit it big with a multiplatinum album (ha!), I'm forced to sacrifice my precious time and sweat to earn these people a few bucks. There's got to be a better way!!! And I feel like this site is getting me on my way, which is crazy because I just happened to stumble upon it the other night (anybody ever use stumbleupon??? Pretty cool). I was talking to my girlfriend about it this morning and she said to me "Don't worry, you'll find your way" and I responded "I think I'm starting to."

All through childhood I was just never really one of those "when grow up" type kids. I never really put my finger on the end all be all thing that I was gonna be when I got older, graduated from college and became successful like I was supposed to. Now I realize that maybe I somehow just snuck under the radar and never got conditioned to believe in the schooling-career-success-retirement-death flow chart that so many people (especially here in America) seem to have ingrained in their heads. I'm the youngest of six, and starting with my oldest brother and going down to the sister closest to me in age, there is a financial consultant, a doctor, a firefighter, a sign language interpreter and a nurse. At times I have felt like the lazy one of the family because I don't have a defined objective in mind, but now I feel like I have the oppurtunity to be the most successful one of all of them for having nerve to try and live my life for myself and not some 9-5 job with health insurance. Granted I'm not there yet and have a long way to go, but simply finding this website has given me such a jolt and has encouraged me to wake up from my nightmares and start living my dreams. If anybody would like to share ideas or simply chat it up, let me know. I love the ideas expressed here and plan on exploring them fully. Last but not least, THANKS to the creators of this site!!!

-Michael
Debbie
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear from you Michael. Welcome home!
yougetajob

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome.

I remember when I found the site I had similiar feelings. What a refuge this place is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Why Work? Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: